I intend to post details of our recent trip to the island of Kauai (May 5 – May 11), but I’m still waiting for my wife Polly to sort out the hundreds (if not thousands) of digital pictures we took.
However, to give you some idea of the flavor of the trip, here is a day by day guide:
- Day 1 – Thursday – Flew all day (non-stop, fortunately) on Hawaiian Airlines. The rental car company couldn’t initially find our reservation, although they eventually did, and we upgraded to a Mustang convertible. The hotel never DID find our reservation (pre-paid through Costco travel). We proved we had prepaid by having the confirmation email from Costco travel in-hand. so they gave us an upgraded room about 100 feet from the beach.
- Day 2 – Friday – We planned to take a boat tour of the north coast (with the possibility of some snorkeling), but it was cancelled due to high seas and rain and rescheduled to Sunday. We then spent the day driving around the island in our convertible (with the top up due to the rain). The highway to the north coast was even closed due to the rain and flash flooding.
- Day 3 – Saturday – We took an ATV tour on one of the ranches. It rained all day but we had a good, muddy time. We were the only couple on the tour, so we had the guide to ourselves.
- Day 4 – Sunday – We showed up at the boat tour bus stop site at 7 AM to find no one else there. We eventually called the tour company only to find out they lost our number and hadn’t been able to contact us to tell us it was cancelled again. So again we drove around the island in rain with the top up.
- Day 5 – Monday – Planned to rent a motorcycle and take a trip around the island. The way the weather had been going, though, we cancelled it. We took the route we planned to take, but in the car. More driving around, but we actually got to put the top down for an hour or so. Then it rained, so we were right in cancelling the motorcycle.
- Day 6 – Tuesday – Drove to the north coast as the road was finally open. We got to the beaches but hadn’t thought to bring suits. Torrential rains begin shortly after noon.
- Day 7 – Wednesday – Sunny and warm (of course) – left for airport at 10 AM with the convertible top down (had to get SOME use out of it ).
I’ll fill in all the little details once I get photos. Needless to say, however, we could have had a better time. All the natives said the rains were unusual, however, and blamed us for bringing them from Washington.
Have fun and ride safe,