I’ve heard all the wonderful things about the Stebel Mini Nautilus horn, so I figured I had to give it a try. I ordered one and within a couple days (thanks Amazon) I had my new toy.
I’ve seen the options for mounting this ranging from inside the left false cover, on the original bracket, etc. I chose to mount mine on the left side on my Yamaha Big Bars for a couple reasons. First, the instructions for the horn indicate it should be mounted with the inlet tube facing the rear of the bike, and second, the angle of the horn should not exceed something like 15 degrees.
The instructions also come with four different possible wiring options. Since it appears our 1300’s have the horn switch in the ground line of the horn, I chose that option along with the option to fully replace the OEM horn.
Being fairly lazy, and not wanting to cut a bunch of tiewraps, reroute wires, and re-tiewrap stuff, I mounted my horn relay on the old horn bracket. That way I could simply connect the old horn wires to the coil connections to activate the relay (terminals 85 and 86 on the relay). Then I routed a live 14 guage wire back to the fuse block I installed under my seat (see my other post) and down to the switched side of the relay (terminal 30). I then continued with another 14 gauge wire (from terminal 87) following the frame under the triple tree over to the other side of the bike to connect to the positive terminal on the horn.
Now, I needed a nice way of mounting the horn. I wanted it rust proof, and I wanted it to look good. Inspired by the mounting straps on my highway pegs, here is the stainless steel bracket I came up with, along with a custom bolt I made to hold the horn to the bracket and clamp to my Big Bars.
I spent several hours looking around for some kind of stainless strapping or something to make this bracket out of. Finally, in desperation I went to a local department store and found the below item. It had almost the perfect diameter bend for the Big Bars, and it was made of stainless steel. And what’s best is that it was on clearance for only $2. At that price, I bought two in case I needed any more stainless straps in the future…
Rather than using the included bolt, I chose to fabricate a new bolt that would both hold the horn to the bracket AND the bracket to the Big Bars. All I did was grind the head on a stainless bolt to fit into the groove of the mounting tab on the horn.
Finally everything was in place. I connected the positive lead coming from the relay, and spliced the ground wire from the horn into another grounded wire. Got it all hooked up and …
I apparently shorted out the horn/blinker fuse at some point during the installation. A good reason to disconnect the positive terminal on the battery before doing any electrical work. (EDIT – it turns out the relay terminals were mismarked so I got the coil and switch terminals reversed – applying power closed the relay and shorted the circuit.)
After replacing the fuse, I managed to deafen myself by standing too close to the horn when it went off.
Here’s a couple of pics showing the final mounting location. I’ll probably trim the bolts on both the relay and horn bracket shorter, but other than that, it’s golden…
Oh, and for those nitpickers out there, I already read the safety notice I covered up, so there…